Connecting people and injured birds to existing resources and expert services
The hawk I found was seriously hurt and needed expert care I couldn't provide. Using this list I was able to connect to a professional care facility and several months later this majestic bird was returned safely to the wild.
- 1-800-WILDLIFE Ohio's toll-free # for general wildlife info/pubs
- 1-888-HOOKFISH Ohio's toll-free for Lake Erie fishing report
- 1-800-POACHER Ohio's toll-free to report poaching.
- Local Rehabbers (see below for banded bird reports)
- Ohio Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
- Akron - Ohio Wildlife District Three, 912 Portage Lakes Drive, Akron, OH 44319 (330) 644-2293.
- Cuyahoga-Mary Greppin-(216) 932-6673 -Orphan mammals only.
- Cuyahoga-Kim Hinkle (440) 498-0799 - Orphan squirrels and flying squirrels only.
- Cuyahoga- Linda Palmentara- (216) 883-3008- Orphan mammals only
- Cuyahoga- Lake Erie Nature and Science Center- (440) 871-2900- All as needed except deer, skunk, coyote, beaver, raccoon, and nursing wildlife.
- Erie-Back to the Wild- (419) 684-9539- All birds and mammals (allowed to accept deer).
- Geauga- Noreen Gibson- (440) 729-2554- Orphan squirrels only.
- Lake- Penitentary Glenn- (440) 256-1404 ext 2131- All birds(except non-native species) and mammals, excluding bats.
- Lorain- Jacqueline Ptacek- (440) 926-1235- All as needed.
- Medina- Tiffany Hrabak-(330) 239-4101-Mammals only.
- Medina- Laura Jordan - (330) 667-2386- Primarily raptors, waterfowl and songbirds with limited space for mammals.
- Medina-Midge and Dan Shotwell- (330) 667-2915- Orphan mammals only
- Medina- Jayne Marie Smith- ( 330) 722-3216- Mammals and waterfowl only.
- Portage- Sandi Bindas- (440) 548-2299- Mammals only.
- Portage- James White- (330) 628-5217- White-tailed deer only.
- Two easy ways to report banded birds: Call: 1-800-327-BAND(2263) OR
- Go to the Bird Banding Laboratory webpage here.
- To report dead corvids (blue jays and crows) see below: (Sick, but still living any kind of bird, call a rehabber) You should report dead corvids to your county health department (some co.'s won't test other birds).
- Information about care for injured racing pigeons at the American Racing Pigeon Union in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma here.
- West Nile Virus update from Ohio Department of Health here.
Make A Donation to Western Cuyahoga Audubon. Your gifts guarantee chapter activities, programs and research continues to reach members and connect to birding conservationists around the world. Use our safe and secure PayPal payment button below to make a donation of any amount you choose. All donations are gratefully received.