Connecting people and injured birds to existing resources and expert services
The hawk I found was seriously hurt and needed expert care I couldn't provide. Using this list I was able to connect to a professional care facility and several months later this majestic bird was returned safely to the wild.
Agencies and Organizations
- 1-800-WILDLIFE Ohio's toll-free # for general wildlife info/pubs
- 1-888-HOOKFISH Ohio's toll-free for Lake Erie fishing report
- 1-800-POACHER Ohio's toll-free to report poaching.
- Local Rehabbers (see below for banded bird reports)
Agencies and Organizations
- Ohio Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Division, Orphaned and Injured Wildlife, and Resources and Additional Information
- 2017 List of Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitators
- Akron County: Ohio Wildlife District Three, 912 Portage Lakes Drive, Akron, OH 44319. Tel (330) 644-2293.
- Cuyahoga County: Lake Erie Nature and Science Center, 28728 Wolf Rd, Bay Village, OH 44140. Tel (440) 871-2900. All as needed except deer, skunk, coyote, beaver, raccoon, and nursing wildlife.
- Erie County: Back to the Wild, 4504 Bardshar Rd, Castalia, OH 44824. Ph (419) 684-9539. All birds and mammals (allowed to accept deer).
- Lake County: Penitentary Glenn Reservation, 8668 Kirtland Chardon Rd, Willoughby, OH 44094. Ph (440) 256-1404 ext 2131. All birds (except non-native species) and mammals, excluding bats.
- Cuyahoga County: Kim Hinkle, Solon Orphan Squirrel Rescue, 37120 Deer Run, Solon, OH 44139. Tel (440) 498-0799. Orphan squirrels and flying squirrels only.
- Geauga County: Noreen Gibson, Buh Woods, Chesterland, OH. Ph (440) 729-2554. Orphan squirrels only.
- Medina County: Jayne Marie Smith. Ph (330) 722-3216. Mammals and waterfowl only.
- Medina County: Laura Jordan, Medina Raptor Center Inc., 10420 Spencer Lake Rd, Spencer, OH 44275. Ph (330) 591-7300 and (330) 667-2386. Primarily raptors, waterfowl and songbirds with limited space for mammals.
- Call: 1-800-327-(BAND) 2263
- North American Bird Banding Laboratory
- American Racing Pigeon Union, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma provides information about care for injured racing pigeons.
- Ohio Department of Health, West Nile Virus updates.
- To report dead corvids (blue jays and crows) sick, but still living any kind of bird, call a rehabber. Report dead corvids to your county health department (some county's won't test other county birds).
Make A Donation to Western Cuyahoga Audubon. Your gifts guarantee chapter activities, programs and research continues to reach members and connect to birding conservationists around the world. Use our safe and secure PayPal payment button below to make a donation of any amount you choose. All donations are gratefully received.