The "Lakewood" count circle includes western areas of Cuyahoga County, from Lake Erie south into Berea and Olmsted Falls, and Lakewood and Cleveland Zoo too.
118th Annual Audubon Christmas Bird Count-Lakewood Circle 2017, and Christmas Bird Count Volunteer "Thank You" Dinner
Early field notes and photos from a cold, snowy, and blustery Christmas Bird Count-Lakewood Circle 2017. Watch for the 'official' Final CBC-Lakewood Circle Report in the weeks ahead.
Field Notes: Nancy Howell, Compiler, Christmas Bird Count-Lakewood Circle 2017:
What a fantastic day! Thanks to Count volunteers, initial reports list 73 species of birds at yesterday's 118th Christmas Bird Count! We did have two unusual species, a Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) and a King Eider (Somateria spectabilis). The weather played a big role this year with very cold temperatures, snow, and at times, blustery wintery winds, and whiteout weather conditions. The evening Count Tally and Volunteer 'Thank You' Dinner at the Rocky River Nature Center, Rocky River Nature Center, 24000 Valley Pkwy, North Olmsted, Ohio brought together birders for a warm and delicious catered evening meal. Look for my Preliminary, and Final Report in the weeks ahead!
Field Notes: Kathy Murphy, Leader, Christmas Bird Count-Lakewood Circle, Olmsted Falls 2017:
We had a fantastic time Saturday, December 30, 2017, doing the Christmas Bird Count. It was around 15 degrees the snow was about 5 to 10 in deep in places. Sometimes it was pretty windy and snowing heavy. Kathy Murphy the leader, Jack Sidor, Mike Williams, and Ray Kutnar, walked and drove a total of about 4 hours. We walked about 2 miles and drove 7 for a total of 9 miles. We stopped at the Renaissance Retirement Community and Herbert, Dave, and Hilton joined us for a 20-minute walk around some of the property. Everyone enjoyed the snowy walk! We identified 15 different species.
Explore the Christmas Bird Count-Lakewood Circle 2017 Photo Album
Volunteers are needed at Big Creek Parkway - Stumpf to Fowles walks at 1:00 PM can use people. Although the parking may only hold 6 to 8 vehicles. Another place is Bradley Woods - meeting at Bunns Lake and the third area needing help is Lake Abrams portion of the Lake to Lake trail at 7:30 AM. The Baldwin/Wallace Lake group also needs volunteers. Let us know who is going to be where since I need to contact the leaders to let them know who to expect. I would like email addresses too. For those who have not participated, it is strongly urged they dress for the weather and then some. That walking is involved and binoculars are needed. Contact NancyHowell@WCAudubon.org
- 9:00 AM we meet at the Falls Family Restaurant in Olmsted Falls on Columbia Road just north of Bagley.
- 10:00 AM we will be in the main lobby at the Renaissance Retirement Community, 26376 John Rd, Olmsted Falls, OH 44138, on Johns Road in between Columbia Road and Finch Road.
Areas we will cover:
- Chestnut Grove Cemetery, 7789 Lewis Rd, Olmsted Falls, OH 44138. Near the train tracks just north of Bagley Road.
- Small park on Lewis Rd across from first Cemetery.
- Turkeyfoot Cemetery, Olmsted Falls, OH 44138. This is the Old Chestnut Grove Cemetery just north of Chestnut Cemetery on Chestnut Grove Drive.
- David Fortier River Park, Water St, Olmsted Falls, OH 44138. Olmsted Falls small park, on Water Street just west of Lewis Rd.
- Anywhere along Nobottom Rd.
- 10:00 AM Renaissance Retirement Community, 26376 John Rd, Olmsted Falls, OH 44138.
- The Links Golf Course, 26111 John Rd, Olmsted Township, OH 44138.
- Sunset Memorial Park Cemetery, 6265 Columbia Rd, North Olmsted, OH 44070.
- Springvale Golf Course, 5871 Canterbury Rd, North Olmsted, OH 44070, off Butternut Ridge Rd. (possibly)
Christmas Bird Count-Lakewood Circle 2017
#1 Event: Christmas Bird Count-Lakewood Circle 2017 Bird Count
Date & Time: Saturday, December 30, 2017, All Day
Place: Lakewood, Ohio vicinity, and Rocky River Reservation trails, 24000 Valley Pkwy, North Olmsted, OH 44070 Map
Targeted Species: Winter Residents
Compiler: Nancy Howell
Birding Locations: TBA
Registration Deadline: Contact Nancy Howell, compiler, by Monday, December 25, 2017 if you wish to participate.
Notes: Watch the Western Cuyahoga Audubon Facebook Page for updates and details.
#2 Event: Christmas Bird Count Volunteer "Thank You" Dinner
Date & Time: Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Location: Rocky River Nature Center, 24000 Valley Pkwy, North Olmsted, OH 44070 Map
Description: The Christmas Bird Count is free, but if you would like to make a donation to National Audubon Society to help in compiling the information which will be available electronically only, you may do so at our “thank you” dinner. A catered dinner will be held at the Rocky River Nature Center beginning at 6:00 p.m. that Sunday where we will tally the species and initial numbers.
Questions? Contact Nancy Howell at 440-891-1710 (home) or email Nancy for more information, to sign up for an area, or for further information about the “thank you” dinner.
Above: The "Lakewood" Count circle includes western areas of Cuyahoga County, from Lake Erie south into Berea and Olmsted Falls, and Lakewood and Cleveland Zoo too.
Above: Watch the 2015 Christmas Bird Count Report with Nancy Howell, Compiler. Archive Report: The 2016 Christmas Bird Count with Western Cuyahoga Audubon by Nancy Howell.
- Download the 2017 Christmas Bird Count-Lakewood Circle Points v1.0 PDF. A list of points, meeting places and times, and leaders. Click here.
- Download the WCAS CBC-Lakewood Circle Bird List trifold (PDF) here.
- Explore our collection of Western Cuyahoga Audubon Christmas Bird Count Reports at our Store here.
- Read Western Cuyahoga Audubon Christmas Bird Count Reports online at our Scribd library here.